This French silk pie recipe using Aldi ingredients is so easy that even a kid can make it. In fact, our 14-year old son made this tonight.
French Silk Pie Using Aldi Ingredients
Our kids are as crazy about Aldi as we are and after a visit to Aldi earlier today, our 14-year old Asher announced he would be making a French silk pie. No one batted an eye.
No one helped our son make this beautiful homemade pie using Aldi ingredients but it did take some time. Although he used a premade frozen crust from Aldi, the filling is made in steps so this isn’t something you can throw together in a hurry.
Some things are worth waiting for!
Ingredients for Homemade Pie
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Extract
- A Pie Crust (Baked)
- Heavy Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Bar
We picked up everything needed for this homemade pie from Aldi, including the frozen pie dough (2 for $1.89). Some of the other ingredients we already had at home but the total cost to make this dessert was probably around $5.00 Not bad for a fancy French silk pie that will easily serve eight people!
How to Make this Chocolate Silk Pie
First, as with any recipe, do an inventory check from the list of ingredients and make sure you have everything you need to make this pie.
Then, get your kitchen tools gathered. You’ll need:
- A medium-sized pot to boil some water.
- A larger heat-proof bowl.
- A stand mixer and/or a hand mixer.
- A rubber spatula.
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons.
- A potato peeler to shave the chocolate.
- Start by making the custard, creating a double boiler by using a pot containing the simmering water and a bowl that contains the eggs. Be sure the bowl with the eggs is not touching the hot water, we don’t want to end up with scrambled eggs! Once the custard is made, you fill the baked pie crust and then chill it for a couple of hours in the refrigerator until it set.
- Next, make a simple whipped cream. You can use a hand mixer like Asher is doing in the above photo.
- After the custard is chilled and set, spread the whipped cream over the top.
- Add some shavings of your favorite Aldi chocolate bar on top!
If you have tried this French Silk Pie recipe, please let us know how you liked it! Also, be sure and join our growing Facebook Group where we invite you to share your Aldi recipe with the rest of the group!
French Silk Pie
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 10 tbsp butter room temp
- 3 oz semisweet chocolate melted and slightly cooled
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch pie crust baked
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- chocolate shavings for garnish
- Use a medium-size pot and place an inch of water in it, over medium heat. Whisk the eggs along with 1/2 cup of sugar in the water, using a large heat-proof bowl that will fit over the pot holding the water (without touching the water). With the bowl placed over the simmering water, whisk the eggs continuously until they turn thick and fluffy, and a string of the mixture will hold its shape on top of the custard. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Using a large mixing bowl, add the softened butter, the rest of the sugar, along with the salt and beat with a hand beater or a stand mixer on medium-high speed until the mixture is fluffy. Add the chocolate and 1 1/4 teaspoons of the vanilla while beating. Be sure and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the custard and keep beating until the filling is thick, smooth, and fluffy. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Fill the pie crust with the mixture, cover it with plastic wrap and chill until it sets, 2 to 3 hours. Once the bottom has set, you ca make the whipped cream topping by beating the cream with the powdered sugar and remaining 1/4 tsp of vanilla. Beat the cream until it forms soft peaks. Spread the whipped cream over the pie and garnish with chocolate shavings.